The Medela Swing is a popular breast pump. If your household is as hectic as mine, then you’ll certainly benefit from the convenience of expressing your breast milk to fit breastfeeding into your busy schedule.
I knew I’d want to continue breastfeeding once I returned to work after my son was born, so I spent hours researching to buy a reliable breast pump. Of all the breast pumps I researched, one that stood out from the rest – the Medela Swing Electric. I liked this pump at lot, so I’ve decided to share my findings with you.
2-Phase Expression Technology
A breast pump needs to have an efficient motor to express your milk. The Medela swing with its 250mmHG motor is certainly up to the job.
The motor is actually programmed with a function which increases your milk yield, by mimicking baby’s rhythm. Starting off with short, quick suction to stimulate the milk, and then changing to long, slow suction when your milk begins to flow. I’m always a bit sceptical of ‘pre-set’ functions; however you can easily override this feature to give you more control over the suction. This mimicking action ensure that you express more milk in less time, compared to other methods of expressing. In fact, it’s difficult to get a great milk yield otherwise.
Compact, Light and Quiet
The Medela Swing breast pump is very easy to use. The design features make the pump really portable and great if you need a pump which will travel well. The buttons are simple and can be operated one handed whilst using the pump. One of the things I loved about this pump was that it had very few parts, making it super easy to clean and reassemble when needed. Trust me when it’s the umpteenth time you’ve wash and reassembled the pump that day, you’ll be grateful.
Features and Specifications
- The Medela Swing breast pump incorporates a 220-240V Motor with 2-phase Expression Technology cased in a sturdy and compact case.
- The pre-set programs include functions stimulation phase and expression phase.
- The control panel of the Medela Swing is uncomplicated with one touch buttons. It has a power button, increase/decrease suction and an expression phase override mode.
- Two generous 5-ounce collection bottles with lids and easily read measuring marks is included with the Medela Swing.
- A 24mm standard size breast shield is included, smaller or larger sizes are available and can be purchased separately if required.
- The Medela Swing breast pump comes with a handy drawstring bag and a neck strap to increase portability.
- The pump can be powered by a mains AC adapter (included) or with 4 x AA batteries (sold separate).
- The Motor life of the Swing breast pump is 275 hours, with a two year service life.
Customer Reviews and Scores
The Medela Swing electric is an extremely reliable breast pump. It can increase your milk supply, relieve engorged breasts, maintain your supply, and allow your breasts time to heal or do any of the many things a good breast pump is capable of. However if you are looking to express occasionally, then you will really appreciate this model.
I found 439 customer reviews at the time of writing and they had awarded the Medela Swing breast pump 4.1 stars out of a possible 5 on average.
Overall the majority of the customer reviews on Amazon were positive, yet there were a few niggling issues rose. One common point made was that the tubing had a tendency to collect moisture or condensation.
This is a bit of an annoyance, but one user left a handy tip to rectify this. She wrote “If the tube collects moisture, I simply detach the shield from the tube and let the motor runs a few minutes with the tube dangling from it.”
More comments left from other customers included, “WORTH EVERY PENNY!” and “I adore this pump,” and “Excellent excellent pump”, and finally “I can’t recommend this pump enough”.
That makes it very easy for me to recommend the Medela Swing Electric Breast Pump as well.
In summary, the Medela Swing Electric Breast Pump can handle the needs of most expressing moms. It’s a highly rated and versatile breast pump. Made by a very reputable company with great customer service and very easy to use. The majority of buyers are very happy with their purchase and would highly recommend this breast pump to other expressing moms.